Monday, November 16, 2009

Nanoisms/Words of the Day

I took a dare to include dictionary.com's word of the day in every day's writing, and somehow I have succeeded in doing so, except for one day when I didn't write at all. Here are those words:

1. 1700 (Irenic)
2. 3400 (Truculent)
3. 5100 (Sommelier)
4. 6800 (Skulduggery)
5. 8500 (Maunder)
6. 10 200 (Felicitous)
7. 11 900 (Abeyance)
8. 13 600 (Billet)
9. 15 300 (Fungible)
10. 17 000 (Soporific)
11. 18 700
12. 20 400 (Asseverate)
13. 22 100 (Carapace)
14. 23 800 (Quiescent)
15. 25 500 (Agog)
15. 27 200 (Hoi polloi)

Haven't used hoi polloi yet. Luckily I have a rich snob character who is actually kind of likely to use that word. The toughest one to use so far was billet, inasmuch as no one is billeted anywhere. I just had someone use the word in a conversation about their cross-dressing exchange student. Truculent was another tough one because no one was getting fiercely angry.

On to...NANOISMS.

From my outline:
-They kind of have an undefined “thing”, which can’t really get out of the ground because of their sidekick thing (they’re always gone, and can’t tell the other why)
Off the ground. OFF.

I hadn’t had breakfast, and I felt I disturbed some doughnut holes after my crappy morning.
First nanoism! Deserved, not disturbed. Not sure how that happened.

“What’s going on?” I asked the doughnut worker, who shrugged.
Lol, doughnut worker. She actually works at Tim Hortons, but I didn’t want to use actual names of restaurants. I wasn’t quite sure how to phrase this.

Dishwasher…touching other people’s half-eaten food and being on my food eight hours a day?
Ha ha. Feet, Paige. Feet.

Even though I found it very unsettling that they knew my cell phone number and my name. Well, I guess I told the guy on the phone that my name was Paige Parker, but I wasn’t expecting the chauffeur to know.
After I wrote the first sentence, I remembered that these mysterious people actually knew her name, so the following sentence is me correcting that without losing word count.

“Well, excuuuse me, Mr. Belvedere,” I muttered to myself.
“I am Wellesley,” he said to the rest of the group who had snuck in behind me. I felt myself blush when I thought he heard me, but the redness quickly dissipated when I realized he wasn’t speaking to me.
I read this over and realized it sounded like Wellesley was answering her when he didn’t actually hear her. Again, this is my attempt at fixing a mistake without deleting words. I think it worked.

I reached out and pressed the doorbell. I could hear the echoes of the ding sound echoing throughout the house.
I just noticed this the next day. Paging the Department of Redundancy Department…

“Hey, that butler dude looks like he’s going to talk!” she said excitedly. I turned around to face Wellesley, leaning against the table.
Paige was, not Wellesley, although you can’t tell that from this sentence. Also, just noticed I wrote “butler dude”. I’m not even trying to be serious.

My repertoire was small and if I kept going at this rate, I was gong to run out.
No, she hasn’t broken out in some kind of Chinese music. If she kept going at this rate.

“Wait, what? Marital arts?”
Paige. You’re being recruited to be a sidekick to a villain. You really don’t need to have knowledge of the marital arts. Martial arts, maybe.

A black cape fluttered behind him as he ran. His red boots clunked on the floor as he ran.
I’m so stupid. I just noticed this and literally went, “What the FUCK, Department of Redundancy Department?” Also…clunked?

He stopped mid-sentence, cocked his eyed
Cocked his…eyed?

“Ow!” I explained.
She’s very analytical about her pain.
“Ow!” I exclained.
And my attempt to fix it ended in failure.

“That’s nothing,” the girl said. “I’m Ella Parsons!” She looked at me expectantly.
“Huh?” I said.
“Ella Parsons,” she said. “Gymnastics champion of Arrington.”
I didn’t want to keep referring to her as “the girl” so I shoehorned in this explanation of who she was. I don’t think it really worked.

Here, Paige is trapped in a room and is hoping that if she's as annoying as possible, someone will let her out.
“Jeremiah was a bullfrog…” I started. “Was a good friend of mine…”
I paused.
“I never understood a single word he said, but I helped him to drink his wine. And he always had some mighty fine wine.” I stood up and simultaneously got louder.
“JOY! TO THE WORLD! ALL THE BOYS AND GIRLS! JOY TO THE FISHES IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA! AND JOY! TO YOU AND ME!”
I paused. There was nothing. I’m not quite sure what I was expecting.
“IF I WERE THE KING OF THE WORLD. I’D TELL YOU WHAT I’D DO! I’D THROW AWAY THE BARS AND THE CARS AND THE WARS AND MAKE SWEET LOVE TO YOU!”
I didn’t know what else to do. So I kept singing, hoping that maybe someone was listening and they would be so annoyed that they would let me out just to make the singing stop. I hoped that person would be Wellesley.
“SINGING JOY! TO THE WORLD! ALL THE BOYS AND GIRLS! JOY TO THE FISHES IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA, AND JOY TO YOU AND ME.”
Word count, people. Word count.

“Follow me,” he said, gesturing unenthusiastically into the next room. I got up
Despite the fact that she got up already awhile ago.

“Plus, I’ve been your mansion for a few hours now, and you haven’t done anything to me yet.”
Yes, people, she has turned into a house.

“A woman in my position. You understand.”
Whoa, that first sentence is missing a few words. It’s supposed to say something like, “A woman in my position can’t be too careful.”

“You’ll be robbing banks and prominent people,” Catwoman said.
So I’m writing a comic book parody, and I’ve always imagined this character as being like Catwoman. I guess that’s coming out in my writing now.

This is my absolute favourite!
“If you’ll recall, I rode her in a limo with tinted windows.”
WHAT. No no no no no I don’t like this AT ALL. No, Paige, you’re not a lesbian! Or a slut! I swear! You rode HERE in a limo. Promise.

It was 11:30, and I was going to have to head over to Claire’s pretty toon.
And Paige has turned into a three year old. “We gotta go to Claire’s pwetty toon!

This is the aforementioned "billet" scene.
“So then our billet turned out to be this cross-dresser!” Raina was saying into her cell phone. “It was the weirdest exchange student we’ve ever hosted. My parents were uncomfortable with it, but they couldn’t very well send him back to Mexico!”
I wondered what her home life was like.
I have NO IDEA what her life is like, but it sounds interesting.

Claire quickly moved into the shadows and I followed her, trying to mimic her quick, gliding movements and failing. I felt like an elephant trying to mimic a panther. Claire darted from shadow to shadow, and I tried my best to keep up.
“Hello, DoRD? Yeah, I was wondering if you could stay out of my work? Thanks.”

My earpiece crackled and Claire’s voice cake through,
Mmm. Cake.

I slowly descended the steps, hands in my hair.
Somehow I don’t think this is the proper protocol when you have someone pointing a gun at you. Putting your hands in the air might be better.

“You think that killing a roomful of innocent teachers and a university professor is going to avenge your brother?” I asked.
Students, not teachers.

“I should hit you!” I said.
“Why?” he asked, looking at me agog.
Somehow, I don’t think he was THAT baffled. But I had to get in my word of the day somehow.

No comments: